Fire damage claims need to be handled very carefully. Very often a fire along with the smoke and water damage will result in a total loss. In those cases, you should be careful to make certain you get everything you are entitled to under your policy. Fire losses are tricky when they involve a partial loss. In these cases, you need to hire your own expert restoration contractor who is able to conduct a thorough examination of the damage. A few things to look out for include:
- Thoroughly check the HVAC. These are very difficult to clean properly after a fire loss and most likely need to be fully replaced.
- Damage from water and heat may not be readily apparent at first and may result in mold, expansion, warping, and cracking.
- Ducts, pipes, and connectors must be thoroughly inspected.
- Heat can destabilize and compromise a roof and a foundation.
- Discoloration or “matching” issues.